What is volunteering?
Volunteering is an activity that
- anyone can undertake of their own free will
- is unpaid
- has many social, professional, physical and personal benefits
- can only occurs in not for profit organisations
When a person chooses to volunteer it is they who decide where they volunteer, the type of organisation and opportunity they get involved with and for how long.
Kerry Volunteer Centre's Placement Service works with individuals and Volunteer Involving Organisations. The Placement Service's primary focus is that Volunteers have a positive, supported and recommendable Volunteering experience. In relation to individuals, it is committed to:
- advising people about what Volunteering involves
- informing people about available volunteer opportunities
- enabling people to get involved in volunteering if they so wish
- supporting people when they commence volunteering and
- following up with people when they are actively volunteering
For a volunteer opportunity to be registered with the Kerry Volunteer Centre it must be clearly defined and have an assigned Volunteer Manager. There are 100's of available volunteer opportunities in Kerry which can be searched here.
The Placement Service is free and there is no expectation on any person accessing the service to volunteer.