- To ensure the volunteering experience is a rewarding one
- To ensure equal access and not to discriminate
- To define clear, meaningful roles for volunteers
- To have policies and procedures for volunteers
- To provide all necessary information to volunteers
- To be available for volunteers
- To provide training where necessary
- To thank and value volunteers
- To provide insurance cover
- To inform volunteers of any legal liabilities
- To supervise and to provide support
- To reimburse out-of-pocket expenses
- To provide a safe working environment
- To look for certain qualities and skills in volunteers
- To select only volunteers who are suitable for the work
- To draw up a volunteer agreement or 'contract'
- To ask for tasks to be done in a particular way
- To ask for commitment
- To ask for reliability
- To ask for punctuality
- To deal with disciplinary and grievance matters
- To ask volunteers to leave if their involvement hinders the organisation achieving its goals.
Download full Charter for Effective Volunteering.