The insurance requirements of voluntary organisations is dependent on a number of factors including the nature of the organisation's activities. An organsiation can avail of many differant types of insurance, for example
- Public Liability Insurance, which will protect the organisation should a member or client make a claim due to injury or damage to property.
- Employers Liability Insurance - protects the organisation against potential legal liability to pay compensation to Employees who are injured due to Employers negligence and may cover associated legal costs.
- Personal Accident Insurance - can provide a benefit in the event of injury. This will not affect any legal rights which they have and neither does it require any proof of negligence if the work is of a professional nature (medical, legal, financial) for which the staff/volunteer has specific qualifications, insurance can be arranged through the volunteer's professional association or through
- Professional Indemnity insurance - If the work involves the provision of information to clients, professional indemnity may be required to cover legal liability. Also if the work is of a professional nature (medical, legal, financial) for which the staff/volunteer has specific qualifications, insurance can be arranged through the volunteer's professional association or through Professional Indemnity Insurance.
- Property Insurance – may cover an organsiations for loss /damage to buildings, their content, fixtures etc.
- Business Interruption insurance - may cover an organisation for financial interruptions in the case of property loss.
- Directors' & Officers' Liability - provides cover for claims brought against Director's and Officers alleging a wrongful act in their actions as Director or Officer of the Organisation.
- Group Personal Accident Insurance - can cover workers while working for the organisation or on a 24 hour basis.
- Car Insurance is arranged in the name of the volunteer owner/driver of the car and is his/her own responsibility. Your organisation can reimburse the volunteer for additional insurance expenses incurred in order to carry out the voluntary role. Details of insurance cover should always be checked with insurers before using a vehicle for voluntary activities.
Dolores Murphy, Citizens Information Board, Hainault House, The Square, Tallaght, Dublin 24.
Tel: (01) 462 0444
Fax: (01) 462 0494
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Citizens Information Board website www.citizensinformationboard.ie where you can download a pdf version of the Affiliation Form and Proposal Form.
The Wheel ,Irish Social Finance Centre,
10 Grattan Crescent, Inchicore, Dublin 8, Ireland.
Tel 353-1- 454 8727 // Fax 353-1- 454 8649
E-mail: email@example.com // Web: www.wheel.ie