- Obtain and process the information fairly
- Keep it only for one or more specified and lawful purposes
- Process it only in ways compatible with the purposes for which it was given to you initially
- Keep it safe and secure
- Keep it accurate and up-to-date
- Ensure that it is adequate, relevant and not excessive
- Retain it no longer than is necessary for the specified purpose or purposes
- Give a copy of his/her personal data to any individual, on request.
For information on individuals' rights and on organisations' responsibilities go to the Data Protection Comminissioners website www.dataprotection.ie. It also gives guidance on how the rights and principles apply in different practical situations such as in the workplace or the use of CCTV. You can contact the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner by post to Office of the Data Protection Commissioner, Canal House, Station Road, Portarlington, Co. Laois, or by calling LoCall 1890 25 22 31 / Phone 057 868 4800.